Monday, January 2, 2012

keeping secrets!

I couldn't post about the progression of this afghan because it was a Christmas present for my mom! (and she's the only one who reads my blog!).


I started this afghan in november and decided to piece it together like an assembly line. I made 30 squares of the pattern "Willow" from 200 Crochet Blocks for blankets, throws, and afghans by Jan Eaton. So, I made 30 of the first round of colors (5 different colors, six of each), 30 of the second round of colors, and so on and so forth. It made the squares piece together quicker (since I only had to reference the pattern for the first two of each round, I could remember it from memory for the last 28. I set a goal of doing at least 3 parts a day (ie. the first round i would do 3 a day). But I would slack off, or be too tired (or be working on crocheted coasters since my mom asked for those for Christmas - little did she know I was making this beast!). I brought it to my 3 day trip to Atlanta in November, brought it for small road trips, and worked almost non-stop until I went to bed each night. When I finally attached all the squares together, I didn't finish til the border was on! It was so much fun to make, but I'm happy to take a break and read for a bit (5 books for Christmas!!!)




















the squares finished, sans border.




















squares attached, without border





and finally, my mom enjoying her new afghan! it's not a full blanket, but more of a lap blanket!

1 comments:

Patricia said...

I LOVE it!!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! It feels so wonderful to be wrapped in something handmade by you. I am a very lucky Mom. <3 xoxo